Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cake Wreck...seriously.

Okay, well, as you know I had a cake order due today. It was a 2 tiered cake, so I thought I would go ahead and start on it on Sunday. I got all the cake baked and all the icing made and colored.















That's six cakes. I was doing great!!! And on top of everything else going so well, Nana and Papa (my parents) were going to take the kids for the week. I was going to be able to do this cake in peace and quiet and no little fingers being tempted by freshly smoothed icing. Ahhhhh.. This was going to be great.

The next day, I started putting the cakes together and doing a quick crumb coat. ( The kids would be here until 4pm when Matt took them to Harrison to meet my mom.)Here's the bottom tier. It looks bad now, but just wait...it gets better. At least for a little bit.
















So, I do the crumb coat on the bottom tier and then cut out the circle in the top of the tier so the top tier can set in the space that is level. I put the top tier on and then do an all-over icing and wait for the icing to crust. I decide to pack the kids' clothes for the week so the icing would have plenty of time to crust. This is what I came back to...

There was a HUGE crack in my bottom tier!!!!! There was another crack in another place that was smaller. WHAT THE HECK???!!!! I was not going to panic. I was NOT going to PANIC! I thought of all the time that I had already put into it and I had never done zebra print before, so I didn't know how long that would take. It was a little stressful. I was just going to clean up the kitchen and start all over, so I washed cake pans, wiped off counters, set out my butter for icing and went to check all the ingredients for the cakes. I had no sour cream. Sour cream is a major part to my cakes. It makes them super moist and yummy. I was still in PJ's and I decided to just wait until the kids left to go get my supplies. I re-made all the cakes and icing and gave a lot of the cake wreck to neighbors. I was up until midnight waiting for the cakes to cool then realized that my icing had been in the fridge and was unspreadable. I just gave in and went to bed.

The next morning I was ready to go. I got all the cakes put together and went to cover my 6in cake board with contact paper and couldn't find any. No biggie. i had woken up earlier than I thought I would and so I just ran to Fred's in Greenbrier to pick some up then ran by the hardware store to get some wire and pruning shears. Both of which were for the cake. I got home and put it all together.

Here was the moment of truth. Could I make a zebra print on the cake with fondant stripes??


Not too shabby, I thought. The icing didn't smooth very well because the humidity was crazy today, but I couldn't really help it. Here are a few pics of the final product. Riley is the birthday girl and is a super sweetie. I love doing cakes for these people. Seriously, I love my customers!!















































Rylie with her cake.

So, all in all, I think it turned out well. Of course, things could always be better, but I think Rylie loved it, so that's all that matters. Well, until next time. See ya!

2 comments:

  1. Oh X, that cake is adorable! The birthday girl looks happy about it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute cake! Welcome to the blog world!

    ReplyDelete